Moong Dal Payasam By Chef Kunal Kapur
Moong Dal Payasam
Also known as - Paruppu Payasam
Paruppu Payasam or Moong Dal Payasam is a dessert made from yellow lentils. Chef Kunal Kapur brings the recipe of this yummy, sweet dish to your kitchen.Read More
For Moong Dal Payasam
1 cup yellow lentils
1 tbsp ghee
water as required
1 cup jaggery
1 tsp green cardamom powder
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tsp ghee
2-3 tbsp chopped mixed dry fruits
- In a pan dry roast 1 cup of yellow lentils (moong dal).
- Add 1 tbsp ghee and let it roast for a minute.
- Add water as required, cover the pan and let the moong dal boil until completely cooked.
- In another pan, add some water and add 1 cup of jaggery to it.
- Stir and dissolve the jaggery until it melts and filter it.
- Add the prepared jaggery syrup, 1 tsp green cardamom powder, 1/2 cup coconut milk into cooked moong dal and mix it well.
- In another pan, add 1 tsp ghee, chopped dry fruits and give it a light roast on low flame. Add the roasted dry fruits to the moong dal and mix it well.
- Garnish it with dry fruits. Moong dal payasam is now ready to serve.
Paruppu Payasam is a must during a lot of festivals in entire South India. It is made from yellow lentils (moong dal).
Ayurveda suggests that the versatile Moong Dal should be a part of our everyday meals as it is loaded with iron and aids in growth. Moong dal in Sanskrit is called Mugdha meaning something that brings happiness; so that may be the reason our ancestors made sure that this versatile lentil was added to our food seamlessly.
Paruppu Payasam is a creamy, delicious dessert that is rich in proteins, vitamins and fibre.